[microsound] blocks 'O text redux

On Apr 28, 2008, at 4:38 PM, microsound-digest-help@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

right! that was the point of what i said...
I see it a little differently

from the side of the creation of things, the composer should have in mind
the context where his work will be performed.
sometimes, depending on the music, the composer has little control over the context of where their music is performed

an artist who creates a max
patch for a sound installation which never stops, for example, does this knowing that the composition must allow the listener to get in and out of it
at any moment.
disregarding the absolutes of 'must' and 'should' in your statement I will say this: what you seem to be suggesting (I could be wrong here) is that all composers who compose works of longer time-spans
do so by second guessing the listener
that they 'must' either allow the listener entry and exit by providing a 'doorway' or a lull in the narrative or keep the narrative 'static' so that they won't miss anything by not sitting through the whole piece
it becomes less musical and more textural

while many composers know that a work of indeterminate length will be stepped in and out of like a river
I don't think they craft the work in order to placate the listener

each listener creates their own narrative/meaning by framing an event of undetermined length some people might spend 3 minutes listening to the work while others stay for 8 hours

a piece of indeterminate length can be considered an 'open work'
and usually ends up defying any intention the composer might have had

in that sense, these compositional values are a whole different thing that
those of a filmmaker.
different sculpting ways...
it depends on the filmmaker and the narrative structure used
Lynch works like a musician as well as a painter
for different part of the creation process
using both musical structure and painterly textures

Eisenstein derived much of his theory of montage from musical structures/properties
many editors cut to music which imparts a certain rhythm and form
and many composers compose for a place/atmosphere that moves them
so I'm not sure that there is as much of a firewall between film and music as you think

hah I think I'm moving the discussion to some other point with this, but i
find it extremely interesting.
agreed