Re: [microsound] death of monoculture

I don't know if you can really call sth "culture" when there is no actual freedom of choice.. A decade or more back they used to bomb people all day long with stupid tunes when there was absolutely no chance for sb to even know certain genres or artists even existed (and I am not talking about avant-garde records that sold 50 copies), at least in my country, and not to mention what was happening in the 60s or 70s here... Even historically speaking certain composers were promoted by states or governments were others were not even given a chance or even treated like criminals. A friend of toured and gave masterclasses in various countries in Asia last year, and he told that even in music schools people had never heard of some modern composers of vast importance.

Let aside the fact that people attracted by certain tunes usually consider music as a soundtrack for washing dishes..

So, can we really name igonrance and lack of interest or "edjucation" (well this word needs some further expanation,I do not refer to knowledge, I hope you understand what I mean) a culture??