[microsound] re: how to create 5.1

There are two separate processes involved.

The first process is just creating the 6 audio channels. There are huge numbers of tools you can use from free to very expensive. Since you already have stereo material then you want to look at what tools you get in terms of mixing . Certainly a lot of tools can deal with 6 tracks at the same time just as they should also be able to apply effect instances to all 6 tracks. The finer detail is ideally you want mixing and effect tools that process the entire sound field in a coordinated way not as 6 synchronized tracks, unless that is fine for you. Most of the high end sequencer apps have tools that address 5.1 and if you have the programming skills or ability to find existing patches that give you want then PD, MAX and other programming based environments might get you what you want. I never looked into it too deeply when I was looking into Mac info, Bidule came up a few times in other's mentions of multichannel effects and positioning.

Oh, and it's worth noting that while I think Apple Soundtrack addressed some issues in a recent update, I remember they were roundly criticized in the past for calling themselves a "pro" app and only being able to work with surround by using undocumented workarounds or something.

The second process is delivering our audio. If you are delivering direct from a computer with software that can play back your multitracks then there is nothing more to deal with except being sure the system where you want to deliver it works. The other approach is to get it on a disc that can be played. I guess there is also 8 channel tape, digital or an analog.

Clearly the system that is most out there is a regular DVD. I guess the downside is you might need a surround decoder as some DVD players have 6 analog outs while many just have a digital out that needs to be decoded by external hardware. The other downside is that regular video DVDs use lossy Dolby AC3 compression for surround audio which you may or may not take issue with.

As someone mentioned Apple Compressor has the AC3 converter bundled with it (Compressor itself is bundled with Logic Studio and Final Cut Studio). It's actually a separate app that gets launched for what that's worth, but it needs Compressor run. As I understand it, AC3 is patented so you won't see it in an open source or budget DVD burning app. On the other hand it is frequently bundled or included with pro apps.

DBX, a Dolby rival came up with their own lossy system with a hardware decoder. I've only seen PC tools, but a possible usable for something option is it is possible to author a CD-R containing a DBX surround data stream and deliver it on a standard DVD player with a hardware DBX decoder (internal or external). I'm not sure how real world useful it is (not open source or that cheap) given there are not that many DBX decoders out there, but it might be an option in some circumstance.

Another DVD option someone mentioned is DVD-A (DVD-Audio). It's uncompressed but is pretty rarely seen. A small handful of tools to create a DVD-A disc exist for PC users but are many times more rare than standard DVD tools. My understanding is when the spec was formulated went and chose a lossless codec (Meridian) for surround that is seriously expensive to license to developers, hence in my opinion shooting the format in the foot. (No content, no player sales) I guess Blu-Ray might be an option one day for audio delivery, once affordable authoring tools are released or perhaps an audio spec is introduced for high end audio deliver. I don't see DVD-A reviving, which is a bit of a shame.

nicholas kent