Re: [microsound] Infinite Jest

On Tue, 23 Sep 2008, Gary R. Weisberg wrote:

If I had to chose - I guess it would be "Immanent Domain"

Thank you! I liked the description for that one, but was not coming up with an idea I liked of how to approach it, so I am glad someone else is.

*looks at all the emails in thread, makes list of titles dibs already called on*
*looks at list of titles dibs not yet called on*
*narrows to five*
*narrows to three good ideas*
*throws two out*

Ok, I would like to do "Kinds of Light", please.

best,
Steve Burnett   Subscape Annex   http://www.subscapeannex.com

Sounds like as much fun as starting a band with a name from the rock-fest in Shea and Wilson's Illuminatus trilogy. Count me in.
Gary

Kim Cascone wrote:
I have been thinking about a project for some years now
in the book Infinite Jest is a lengthy footnote containing a filmography for the protagonist Hal Incandenza
http://home.i1.net/~bytor/incadenza.html
I also have a pdf I can put up on the server if people need it

I've always thought that making these fictional films into real ones would make for a great project but after DFW's death I thought that it might make for a nice microsound project
to create soundtracks to these films
as a way to honor his life and work

so here is a proposal:
- take one of Hal Incandenza's films
and create a soundtrack to it

if people are seriously interested in this project
then please post to the list
and I'll take a head-count

if we get more than 10 people then we go with the project
if not, it will be another good project for my studio in the future