Re: [microsound] setting up Indexhibit

thanks for the info kim!

i really know nothing about the web, so what you just wrote might as
well be in an alien language:)
i find it frustrating since it's a major stumbling block and is
really stopping me from getting my music/sound out there.
it all seems so overwhelming, i don't know where to begin.
graham
if you have an Internet account you probably have server space
if you have server space you have an account that allows you to admin your web space
so I would log into the control panel for your account
and start getting familiar with the various web apps offered there
you don't really have to become a CS student to grok this stuff
it sounds a lot more complex than it is
and tends to scare people easily
but for what you want to do
you just need to know what text to type into which box in which app
so first you need to check the versions supplied by your ISP for both MySQL and PHP
easy enough to do

next,
>>Before you begin:

>>You will need to have the connection information to your MySQL database.
this just means a name and path for your db

>> If you don't have this information you should check your webhost control panel or ask your webhost. You should have the following information:

>>- database host
>>- database name
>>- database username
>>- database password

>>Once you have all of the above you are ready.

MySQL has a control panel on your server
so you'll need to create a new database for Indexhibit to access
not difficult to create a new MySQL db -- there should be a FAQ or a help file accessible to guide you through this process

next,

>>Uploading Files:

>>Using your FTP application, upload the contents of the indexhibit folder into the desired folder on your site - in most cases this will probably be the root folder of your website >>(consult your webhost if you aren't sure where to upload files).

download the indexhibit package from:
http://www.indexhibit.org/download/

if it mangles the filename
you'll need to change it to something and then attach a .zip suffix filetype to the file

then unzip this and keep it somewhere handy
the file will be called 'indexhibitv070e' or something
on root to your hard drive or something easy to get to

next I would assume you have a ftp app of some sort
if you then I recommend Fireftp
http://fireftp.mozdev.org/
it works in directly in Firefox, is simple to use and very well organized once you have that installed you'll need to access your web server with your ftp app
go to your http directory
and upload the

>>Find the 'files' and 'gimgs' folders and change their permissions to 777 (the gimgs folder is inside of the files folder). Inside the 'ndxz-studio' folder change the 'config' folder >>permissions as well to 777.
after uploading the files mentioned above
find the files/directories
right click on it
select properties
and change the permissions to '777'

>>Installing:

>>Next, direct your browser to your_site/ndxz-studio/install.php

point your browser to (whatever your domain is):
grahamfoobar.com/ndxz-studio/install.php
and some sort of control panel should appear and follow the rest of the steps:
>>- select your language and submit
>>- if you have followed all the previous steps you will see green X's
>>- input your site name and your database information and submit
>>- if all went well, it will tell you to login

now I have actually installed it myself so there might be some gotcha's along the way that I haven't hit
but let me know how your progress?
good luck

at least
with software, you can read the manual. there is no manual for the
internet:)

i'm going to wikipedia some those acronyms and see what i can come up
with...

i have several domain names registered... i just gotta figure out how
to put something up.

thanks again,

graham