Re: [microsound] AC and other sounds

>I really like the sound of the London Underground, so many different rich
>textures. One day I took a MD recorder with me in an attempt to capture
>the sounds. It came out very flat and uninteresting. Perhaps I need a
>better microphone. Perhaps some sounds are less rich when divorced of
>their context.

There's this disc by Katharine Norman entitled "London" that might interest
you. I'm especially thinking of the piece, "London E17". In regards to this
track she writes: "The source sounds for this piece are diverse, and all
were recorded in and around Walthamstow, London E17...The music travels
through various environments, dwelling for several minutes in each. They
include sounds from my back garden, underground `tube' trains, my local eel
pie and mash caf, a noisy outdoor market, roadworks, rain." There's also a
piece entitled "People Underground", in which the sounds used were recorded
in foot tunnels underneath the Thames. She used a NeXT computer, Cmix, and
csound to manipulate the noises into semi-narrative pieces. I believe it
was listed in Wire magazine's "Transgression" list in their end of the year
issue for 1996.

blok.