Re: [microsound] laptop ethics...

2. why is there a difference between creating and performing when doing a live
show with a computer? livewise at least i don´t think so. i still enjoy
powerbook concerts as long as the music is fine with me. who cares about bands
doing bad music with a super show then anyway?

i think it's just about being in a different frame of mind.. or going to the show for a different reason. for example, when i went to see ryoji ikeda here in new york,.. i knew there wouldn't be much to see visually.. but, i went for a few other reasons: 1. to hear his music LOUD (a very physical experience), 2. to support him 3. to hang out with friends...

like someone said previously, i don't feel so bad, going to one of "these" shows.. if i sit for a bit and listen, then get up walk around.. grab a drink, etc... i don't feel oblligated to watch the performers because, as we've all been discussing, there isn't much to watch. i do, however, find myself for the majority of the time sitting facing the speakers, maybe with my eyes closed, really concentrating on the music and taking in the sounds... and that's how i'd want people to experience my own live shows.. 'cos i'll tell you in advance.. unless you like watching someone patch a modular synth, you're not going to see a whole lot.

taylor,

taylor deupree/12k
taylor@xxxxxxx
http://www.12k.com

OUT NOW:

taylor deupree + richard chartier "spec." (12k1007)