Re: [microsound] laptop improv attempts so far

random thoughts: it's funny how this issue/problem finds a new
audience/solution every few years...I started going to live electronic
music performances in the early 70's (and even worked as a roadie for a NYC
electronic music duo called EarFood in 76) and they all had a similar
problem: how to present music without a "traditional" visual element...we
used to joke that we needed a conductor or nude dancers to hold peoples
attention during the Earfood gigs...but loft concerts back then were much
like the chillrooms of the early 90's ie: pillows, subdued lighting, wine
and pot being passed around (sorta like beatnik rent parties were to the
50's I guess) so the expectation was mostly being lost in thought while
listening to music...I've seen David Behrman, Alvin Lucier, and a host of
tabletop electronics sorta performances where the only visual element was
some geeky looking guy hunched over a rats-nest of interconnected
electronic gear twiddling knobs...there was little pretense to doing
anything at these concerts except *listening*...I'm not sure if there has
been any progress made in this area except with the use of Max objects like
antiorps 'nato.0+55', Scott Drave's 'bomb' and other visual-generating
computer programs such as Nirvana Engine and BlissPaint...but I'm not sure
that these offer a global solution either...the context for laptop concerts
are complex and sometimes there isn't clear as to what one is supposed to
do while at this sort of event...when I performed in Frankfurt last summer
(live 4 CD mix while running 'bomb' on a laptop->LCD projector) most people
milled about chatting, smoking and drinking (party atmo) while in Leipzig
people (similar setup: live mix + bomb) were seated and listening
attentively (gallery atmo)...so there is some sort of expectation from both
the composer and audience and achieving an intended atmo is difficult...my
concert in Frankfurt never explicity determined an agreed upon context (so
it defaulted to party-mode) while the Leipzig gig did (it was presented as
a concert in an *Art Gallery*)...either way I feel that the visual
component was important for my presentation and that it gave the audience a
filmic visual presentation portion to the soundtrack (is this model based
on music videos?)...I don't mind going to concerts where all I get is
someone hunched over a laptop with no visuals (I shift into heightened
listening mode) and I am able to enjoy well done visual accompanyment to
someone hunched over a laptop (I shift into a film + soundtrack perceptual
mode)...electronic music demands that people adapt to the composers intent
or accept the chaotic atmo that results from letting things drift as they
may...maybe all we need to do is develop different perceptual modes to get
the most enjoyment from each performance on a case by case basis?
KIM