Re: [microsound] space, the audience & performer

List,

I agree with Johnny [ this is a great list you compiled].
Important is not to disregard what an audience
might be expecting on certain settings.

A great example is Johnny's own recent show at Brownie's
[in New York City], a very rock oriented club, all is setup
to view the stage. The show was a very-cohesive mixture of
graphics, video sampling and great music.

I loved it, my girlfriend enjoyed it. Everybody happy.

Clearly there are tricks to change these expectations,
and to provide a fulfilling performance.

A few months ago a MAX/MSP show was organized at HarvestWorks,
where San Francisco's JHNO performed some awesome music.
He somehow created a very relaxed mood, and people were just
talking, drinking and just hanging out over his music.

Then, of course, is Dan's comment, right on the money, if
we are going to perfom, we should have something to perfom.

I saw a not so recent show at D.A.T. where the D.J. & AKAI
MPC 3000 guy ( Martin something, I'm very sorry I don't
remember his name) was simply dancing and jumping all over
his sampler's case. It was beautiful, everyone was into it,
and the music was incredible.

Anyway, for most paying gigs/shows today visuals are a concern,
they seem to require/expect something to see, as much as something
to hear.

Of course I've seen many shows with disapointing or misplaced
visuals.

Is hard to find the right balance -- we don't always now what to
expect -- but good performers adapt, react to their audience.
When this happens honestly, openly, the results can be magical.

....just joining in, and, clearly, just repeating what everyone
else said... all the best...,

Eloy
 ------
leaddaet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx