space, the audience & performer

> I agree with Johnny [ this is a great list you compiled].
> Important is not to disregard what an audience
> might be expecting on certain settings.
>
> A great example is Johnny's own recent show at Brownie's
> [in New York City], a very rock oriented club, all is setup
> to view the stage. The show was a very-cohesive mixture of
> graphics, video sampling and great music.
>
> I loved it, my girlfriend enjoyed it. Everybody happy.
>
> Clearly there are tricks to change these expectations,
> and to provide a fulfilling performance.

interesting you bring this up - its actually a good anacedote to explain
what I was getting at.

in hindsite, I would have changed our setup to better fit the situation ...
at brownies there is this stage that is quite tall -- about 4.5 feet --
since brownies is a rock club, I imagine the stage has the effect of rising
the rock band above the crowd because everyone is standing, so that a
everyone in a packed house can see those guitarists doing what they do.

when we arrived, we made a snap decision to setup our tables at the front of
the stage, sitting behind them, facing the audience.  The drawback in my
eyes is that we created a very large barrier -- eight feet high - we sat
behind this wall of stage tbale and gear.  the project screen was behind us,
and one was `forced` to stand to view the screen.  in hindsight, I would
have sat on the floor of the stage, or even moved the tables to ground
level.  Havratski followed our set and he sat way back on stage, so that he
was all but completely obscured.  (perhaps by choice).

the good thing (as you pointed out) is that the audience didn't seem to mind

--deKam