Re: [microsound] filmsound

recently a bunch of friends and I watch stan brakage's film dog star man with selektion records comp itineraire (gunter, tonuitti, wollschied...) and it was perfect. Often at time the visual editing would coincide with the sound editing. The film beckons silence, and this compilation installs much of those needs. It is great. We have often wanted to explore other films this way, intevening on them but something just haven't happen.
also recently I saw a really great sonoric interpretation of the passion of joan of arc perfomed by swiss electro acoustic musician tomaz grom. he played a double bass through a four channel looping device/sampler. it was amazing, he really knew the film.
there is also, maybe unfamiliar to many europeans -a chicago based sound track group called the boxhead ensemble. they perform live to the beatiful documentary film -dutch harbour: where the sea breaks its back. The group has taken many forms and included some very prestigous musicans like jim o'rourke, will oldam, david grubbs... their soundtracks are very emotive and often quite simple. The music is often based on string instruments, like guitar, cello, and violin with minimal drone instruments like the harmonium... adding texture. there are I think three different releases which doucment three different perfomance tours and all of them are romantically persuasive. well worth looking into.
I think knowing a film is fairly important if a musician decides to play or add a soundtrack, but I am wondering and am interested in the effect of not knowing the film and improvising the image/sound relationship. any comments?
a.dll

"We speak not only to tell others what we think,
but to tell ourselves what we think.
Speech is part of thought."
        -Hughlings-Jackson