failure and production (or lack thereof)

To me, it really doesn't matter whether the person responsible for a piece of
art spent X minutes/hours/days/months/years on something as long as, as
someone else also said, you are compelled to listen to the piece several
times.

i agree.. i've done work that took me 10 minuts.. and stuff that took me days. for the most part, i don't let my work take more than a few days.. if it's not at a finished state at that time it's usually because it's not clicking right.. or just doesn't feel right. when a piece sounds great it usually fuels itself to get done more quickly.. i don't think many electronic musicians can say they spend MONTHS or weeks on tracks.. if so, they're probably just afraid to admit it took them 10 minutes!

however... what *is* very important to me is sound design.. the way i work is that a lot of my "patches" and sounds are practically songs in themselves. i will spend hours and hours tweaking a sound.. compiling a whole library of sounds.. which then speeds up the composition process.. because it's the sounds, to me, that are most important.. so with that in mind, the entire creative process.. from sound making/processing, to composition, producing (another interesting thought on production coming up) and recording.. rarely takes as short as 10 minutes.. .. more like a few hours.

production:

i was thinking about this last night.. i used to do straight up techno and ambient works.. this genre, after time, became something that got very well produced.. in my studio i have a bunch of pretty nice outboard gear.. a big mixer.. decent quality fx boxes and the like.. all of which was painstakingly tweaked to get the production of a good techno track polished...

today.. i bypass my mixer altogether.. going directly from my computer's digital outputs to my dat deck.. i rarely use any reverb or effects.. and do all of the EQ'ing and panning on a sound-by-sound/sound design basis... track "production" has nearly been eliminated...

any thoughts? why is "reverb" a bad word now? these dry, glitchy sounds that we all use rarely have any spacial effects added.. and the whole traditional art of production seems to have been thrown out the window!..

taylor,

on this week:
kim cascone "cathodeFlower"
monolake "interstate"

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + +
taylor deupree/12k
taylor@xxxxxxx
http://www.12k.com

OUT NOW:
taylor deupree + richard chartier "spec." (12k1007)

OUT SOON:
taylor deupree "cycology" (12k1008) (winter.00)
taylor deupree CD (rastermusic, jan 2000)
taylor deupree untitled 12" EP (audio.nl / netherlands)
taylor deupree remixing Goem on "extensie" (goem remix CD)
taylor deupree: kim cascone "bubblewarp" remix, on "blue cubism" (digital narcis/japan) --Boundary_(ID_cd8nSikZgDIp9vcq5FrBzQ)