Re: [microsound] failure redux

kim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> well I guess my failure was to be clear about what type of 'failure' I was
> referring to...I was speaking more of systemic or technological failure,
> ie: glitches, CD skips, dropouts, systemic noise etc used in the making of
> this style of music...

A related point ? one thing that strikes me is the constant need to
learn/purchase/research new software/hardware. I think that the degree
to which this is necessary is quite different in this lonely corner of
e-dom from the parellel need in classical/rock/sock-hop/country&eastern.
I am frustrated and enthused by turns as I find shortcomings and new
possibilities in my equipment. Sometimes I resent the amount of time I
feel I have to dedicate to the "non-creative" side of my artistic
process... but just about then some "mistake" shows me a whole new world
of possibilities for composition/sounds.

> chance
> and indeterminacy are good ways to open up creative possibilities on an
> artistic level...

Exactly so! In this sense the shortcomings of the equipment are integral
to my process, probably many other poeple's too. There are times when I
feel like I know what I want and how to get it, and then there are times
when I'm just messing about wondering, "what happens when I try this."
Often the most intriguing results are when something doesn't work quite
right...

Michael
--
eM/the foundry