Re: [microsound] achim wollscheid & such

david:

>i just purchased achim wollscheid's cd 'airs' (ritornell) which is
>wonderful: noisy, crackly & indubitably free (well, it costed $25
>canadian, damn imports.)
>
>any recommendations on this person & on other unrelated works in the
>same spectrum?  i've checked two other recent ritornell releases &
>although they pull together some awfully nice sounds (the kim cascone in
>particular), they didn't strike me as particularly eventful...  (a
>matter of taste, no doubt, but nonetheless.)

i may second the recommendation of "moves" on selektion... this stuff (as
it's mostly incessant rhythms produced by little hammers attached to
household items) also has quite a bit of humour, although i'm not sure it
was intended... as the theoretical work of wollscheid (there's also a book
collection of essays by him out on selektion, called "the terrorized term",
which i find rather unreadable). another release i particularly like is a
12" from 1986/7 called "and" and released under the name "s.b.o.t.h.i."
(swimming behaviour of the human infant) which is also rather free, noisy,
crackly, and cut-up (very nice artwork, too). also, you may want to look at
any stuff done by p16.d4, the band he's been working with for many many
years (which is also the link to ritornell). there's a lot to say about
them... probably the best idea to find out about his / their work would be
to jump straight to http://www.selektion.de/.

p.