Re: [microsound] lily of the valley

Sean Cooper wrote:

> >n.p. Var.Art. - "Lily of the valley" (Schematic)...un uneven affair.
>
> ooh, review please! these guys should be talked about more on this list.
> how's the new jeswa track? the jeswa ep is one of my favorite records of
> the last few years.

This I WILL make short: I have the same objections against this compilation
as I have against many of the Autechre releases: there are great moments of
great innovation, but there are also moments of what seems like sheer
formulaic laziness where they are just going by the book to get some work
done/finished. Listen to the last track, for instance: I couldn´t believe
it when I heard it, with its glassey and delayed arpeggios (of the most
banal kind, of course -- up and down and up and down, and not a note is
missed), uninspired rhythms. If people like Schematic and Autechre could
just get rid of the camp/kitsch (sentimental/sad melodies etc.)...
Vladislav Delay is a potent example of what can be done in this genre...

For example, the first track (Richard Devine) is great. It´s my favorite.
It stays with the intricate and delicate rhythmical patterns as pioneered
by the aforementioned British duo, and avoids what I more or less loathe
about Autehcre: the silly, home-organ-arpeggiated melodies/chords that are
as trivial as they are sterile. Same greatness is found on tracks by
Phoenecia (track 9 and their Mandell remix, which is OK; they get trivial
on track 2, but are almost rescued by focusing more on ambiance than on
melody; they lose it completely on track 8 where the ugliest analog synth
line/melody this side of the 60s ruins everything), Delarosa & Asora and
Gliese.

I don´t like the Jeswa track either, unfortunately, but that could be
because of my aversion against the organ (and particularly atonal organ) --
organ-like sounds are heavily featured, as well as sterile digital
simulations of analog sounds.

Schmeatic´s previous compilation was outstanding. This one I could easily
have been without -- most of the ground´s been covered and it doesn´t need
to be recovered.

> sc

/Oeivind/