american beauty glitched sound

> > Towards the end of the film especially, the soundtrack glitches would affect (and effect) these piano passages, making for some beautiful glitched sound. The notes sort of smeared around, it was really wonderful.
>
> This sounds very interesting, but I´m not sure if I would be annoyed by
> such a mishap or just fascinated. Didn´t the rest of the audience go mad?

Well, my wife noted that "it was too bad the sound was screwed up at
the end", but I don't think it was so glitched as to be unlistenable.
My sister, who saw it for the first time, didn't seem to really
notice.

Like I said, the notes just seemed to smear a little bit. It got me
thinking, too - how one would approximate this note smearing effect,
technically? I've done some sound design where I used very short
samples but created some movement by looping the end and modulating
the whole thing in some way (LFO -> filter, etc). This comes close to
what I'm imagining in some ways. I'm interested in something that
could produce this effect real-time, though.

I'm using a variety of stuff to do audio processing - AudioMulch
(fantastic!), my Akai S2000, and I have access to SoundHack & other
editor type programs. I'm wondering if some sort of granular synthesis
might do it? Anyway, I'm planning on experimenting with this some.
(Sorry if this starts to drag discussion towards the off-topic; reply
privately if you're concerned about this).

Cheers,

Bill / dj marathon
--
AppNet MidWest Interactive [formerly Sigma6] / http://www.appnet.com