Re: [microsound] techno-mysticism (ne purple)

> But a crashing hard drive hardly confronts
> us with a abyss hewn between the material world and a higher or divine
> reality requiring a mysticism in order to be bridged;

....which is not what I was saying (or trying to say anyways). Forget about the
harddisk, but couldn´t religion or mysticism or whatever be seen as another
way of redirecting your lack of understanding of the world (be it material or
spiritual or social or whatever) towards a higher being that´s supposed to
bridge the gap between this lack and a supposed harmonic unity (lack being the
birth of desire, and the god being a temporary satisfaction of desire)? Could
religion be seen as a kind of fetish (desire is involved in both categories)?
Can´t mysticism be a redirection of desire in the fetish sense? Isn´t a fetish
an investment of at least some doses of magic/mysticism into the object (Crash
again, where the car and the crash takes the form of a ritual, or at least the
site of the ritual -- part mysticism, part fetish?)? Can´t the religious
ritual be thought of as a kind of fetish, a displacement from finality towards
particularity?

Back to the harddisk again: isn´t this frustration and "realization that our
material knowledge of the objects in our all too terrestrial existence is not
extensive enough to allow us to turn these obtrusive materials into
transparent instruments of our impulses" the beginning of the
metaphore/analogy, which is also a sort of bridging, albeit not a metaphysical
one (which was my point to begin with)? I can see how the crash might lead to
both mysticism and fetishism. And I do see a relation between the two (at
least I think I do. for now), although it might not be there.

I don´t know. I think I´m confused, which suits me fine right now. I need
something to get my thoughts away from the $120 (ugly surprise) it cost to fix
my portable DAT...Homer S. mumbling "damn technology; wish I´d been living in
the stone ages; stupid DAT thing ruining me just so that I can use my stupid
mic to record stupid sounds outside my stupid apartment; I bet they are
overcharging; surely they spent more stupid time fixing it than they stupid
should?")

/Oeivind/