Re: [microsound] techno-mysticism (ne purple)

to take a completely different tangent, the mystification of digital
'glitches' might, in a certain respect, not be entirely an abstract conceit.
this ongoing discussion has brought to mind some long-term studies into
mind-matter interaction i've been reading about lately: for the past few
decades, researchers at princeton and university of nevada, las vegas, have
been investigating the effects of human consciousness on matter at a
microscopic level ('micropsychokinesis') using digitial circuits called RNGs
(random number generators).  these are highly sophisticated devices which
use electromagnetic noise or radioactive decay to create super-reliable
sources of random data bits.  any deviation from pure randomness can be
identified and measured with extreme accuracy, and apparently the huge body
of experimental data that now exists shows conclusively that these
deviations, or 'glitches' if you will, can be willfully created by a
person's conscious intent, even at a great physical distance.  i found this
quite a stunning revelation in itself (having previously erroneously
believed there was no scientific evidence in support of 'psi' phenomena...),
but in light of the ideas being discussed here, i can't help but wonder if
digital circuits will one day be subtle and sensitive enough to these
yet-to-be-explained natural forces to allow some kind of mystical personal
interaction with digital music making (or any other form of digital art) to
become a 'concrete' reality...

-brian

>> But a crashing hard drive hardly confronts
>> us with a abyss hewn between the material world and a higher or divine
>> reality requiring a mysticism in order to be bridged;
>
> ...which is not what I was saying (or trying to say anyways). Forget about the
> harddisk, but couldn´t religion or mysticism or whatever be seen as another
> way of redirecting your lack of understanding of the world (be it material or
> spiritual or social or whatever) towards a higher being that´s supposed to
> bridge the gap between this lack and a supposed harmonic unity (lack being the
> birth of desire, and the god being a temporary satisfaction of desire)? Could
> religion be seen as a kind of fetish (desire is involved in both categories)?
--Boundary_(ID_tzAuTwEymnUMuKxn9eKKCQ)