De : Oeivind Idsoe [mailto:ezueled@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
Envoyé : mercredi 29 mars 2000 21:16
À : microsound
Objet : Re: [microsound] mystical fetishes

Paul wrote:

> > Think Autechre, trying hard for 6 years or so to purge a certain ghostly
> > humanism that turns up in the form of a melody.
>
> Do you think so?  To me it seems more like the opposite...   They appear
> determined to stick in some twee little melody or other into almost every
> thing they do...

I´d have to agree...and to me this is definitely not a good thing. So many
Autechre tracks have been ruined because of the sheer triviality/banality of
the melodies, which is why someone like Vladislav Delay (there´s his name
again) and the entire Chain Reaction/Basic Channel enterprise works so well
for me: they use some of the same DSP trickery, but they concentrate on
faint, monotonous (?) chords and clanks *without* the melody; instead of
trying to sound like the digital replication of old nursery rhymes, they
work
..with. the chords, filtering them, delaying them, moving them around, rather
than using them as the backdrop for the main attraction, The Melody.

This is a bit of an issue for me, because so many Autechre tracks contain
large amounts of potential, but it´s all wasted when the do-re-mi enters.
Parmegiani and Bayle and Randall Smith et al can do incredible things in the
electroacoustic/acousmatic realm without resorting to melody. Why can´t
Autechre do the same within Electronica?

....the not-so-elegant return to the original topic: perhaps Autechre have a
bit of a fetish for sterile, hummable, sappy ^tunes^?

(just to balance the picture a bit, though: the melodies were present in
much
of their early material, too, but A) it wasn´t made with digital equipment,
which made it sound more alive/organic, and B) it was more subdued, more in
the background, as an afterimage rather than the main attraction. And maybe
should say that I loathe most of Incunabula (if sterility ever was
incarnated) but love Amber and Tri Repetae -- and quite a bit of their later
stuff -- to death

OK. ´nuff said.

/Oeivind/