synchronous_source

a proposal for all microsound makers, particularly those interested in
working with acoustic / environmental source material:

synchronous_source

* at some arbitrary point in time (sometime relatively soon), a bunch of
people in different places each make a stereo recording of a certain
length (i'm thinking short, c. 1 minute). each recording is simply the
ambient sound in a particular spot: that spot might be indoors,
outdoors, quiet, noisy, whatever.

* the specific location is unimportant. the idea is that these
recordings be made synchronously... together they form a distributed
recording of a specific chunk of time.

* after the recordings are made, each person in the group gets access to
all the recordings... we could distribute them as high-quality mp3s, or
CDRs via post.

* what happens then? any number of things... source material to do what
you like with. while i have a specific project in mind (part of fällt's
invalidObject series) i'd be open to taking the material, and the
collective, further... it would make an interesting base for a
collaboration / compilation.

email me offlist if you're interested...

& btw, would the lowercasesound list be up for something like this?
anyone who knows that list better than i, feel free to fwd this proposal.

mitchell whitelaw ::::::: http://www.spin.net.au/~mitchellw