Re: [microsound] DSP

> >Sure, but I think we all know what is meant when someone says "oh,
> >there's so much
> >DSP on that album" = intense sound processing which goes beyond the
> >typical EQing,
> >compression, reverb, etc.. I don't think you're gonna hear anyone
> >say "Man, there
> >sure was a lot of DSP on that last Travis Tritt album !".  ; )
>

> true enough...
>
> but i guess i was meaning the description for those people who didn't
> know what "dsp" was..
>
> but yes, you're right!..
>
> taylor,

But the boundary is very blurry, uh?

We could say that DSP is used in most forms of modern music, but only on
some is predominant. These latter kinds of music could qualify for the
definition of DSP-based music.
But most of today's electronic music (club stuff, pop, r 'n' b, hip hop
etc...) is DSP based, since most of the instrumentation and effects have
massive, or not so massive, number crunching dedicated DSPs inside
(Motorola's, SHARCS, Yamaha's...).

note that DSP can identify both the process and the processor, so while for
example Kim Cascone uses Digital Signal Processing, he doesn't use any
dedicated Digital Signal Processors, but only ROTM general purpose
processors such as Motorola's G4 and Intel's PentiumX.

Could we say that the less it sounds like DSP, the more are the
possibilities of being DSP-based, and viceversa?

p h o n k

http://www.phonk.com