ars prix & 20' to 2000

>yes, when an artist (scanner) is featured in a series that he then juries
>for an award, it does seem suspect, and would seem to diminish the value of
>the award (though not the cash prize).
>perhaps rimbaud excluded himself?

this is the problem with dialogue on lists sometimes, what is fleeting in conversation, may not be all that casual as it etches its way across cyberspace.
i was hesitant, initially, to join this discussion, because i was not privy to the facts of the matter, simply the result, as conveyed by a third party. i had not even looked to see what all the awards were.
where i should have qualified my statement, i did not. where i should not have personalized my statement, i did. and for that i apologize to all parties involved; i honestly did not mean to cast aspersions in a general or specific way.
what should have been a general observation of the difficulties and policies involving peer driven juries, instead may have been taken as an expression of my distrust in this specific instance, which it was not. though i tried to word my comment in a way not to conclude what may or may not have been the case, in this instance, i can see that i failed to clearly distinguish that. again, my apologies.
i WAS privy to the amount of entries there were this year, an overwhelming amount. i recognize and appreciate what a tremendous task it was just getting down to the finalists. i have served on faculty juries, and i know the second-guessing that one has about and one's own subjectivity impartiality.
in regards to the decision made, i have no argument. i was asked by a miami newspaper to compile a list of top 10 releases for 1999, and the 20' to 2000 series, as a whole, was one of my picks. i thought the idea and execution of the concept was brilliant. i've absolutely no grudge, or sour grapes, with the jury, and i regret any discomforting feelings or ill will that i may have caused. please except my apologies. it will be a while before i voice such a cavalier observation again.

                sony mao