Arovane

At 08:39 PM 5/19/00 +0200, Øivind Idsø <ezueled@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> np - Arovane "Atol Scrap"
Any chance of a shortish review of this one? I´m kinda curious...

"Atol Scrap" offers 64 minutes and 11 tracks of quite delicious atmospheric armchair digital electro. Early Autechre is the most obvious reference point (with Markant and The Remote Viewer available for comparison and Kraftwerk visible beyond), and the focus is on mood and melody rather than on DSP tweakery, although the odd crackle does let one know that at least one hard drive has groaned in the production process. Blurred across the expected lulling funk of the rhythms are distantly hovering clouds of synthetic strings, reminiscent most of all of the grey panoramas of old Factory bands like The Names and The Wake (or even early Fra Lippo Lippi and Sad Lovers & Giants), and it is here that the music takes on its unusual emotional depth. In other words, nothing shockingly new - or stimulating of post-materialist justificatory logorrhea (no deceased French philosphers were harmed in the making of this record) - will be found in the scrapings from this atol, but a quite enjoyable and subtle variation on an established style is here with its own rich travelogue. I expect this one will be in frequent play in my various CD players, and the latest by Arovane has gone instantly onto the shopping list.

np - same on its third play

ps - As for DSP pop, why not Funkstorung's treatments of Bjork, or Autechre's of Nav Katze? And then there is Piano Magic...

NOTE NEW DOMAIN FOR E-MAIL & WEB:
joshua maremont / thermal - mailto:thermal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
boxman [hako otoko] label - http://www.boxmanstudies.com/