Re: [microsound] monitors

i'd totally agree with josh here...

Joshua Maremont wrote:

> For me the most important aspect of a monitor is not its quality or price
> or purported neutrality but simply the familiarity of the mixer with its
> sound.

i mix on an altec lancing computer sub-sat system, as well as a pair of akg
240df headphones, then check the mix against an ancient pair of fairfax hi-fi
speakers my grandfather gave me from the 60's. a good mix can be achieved in
any pair of speakers, if you know them. even if you get a pair of totally
flat, transparent monitors, you will need to check the mix against other
speakers to see how it sounds. no matter what, when working the mix, it's
always necessary to check it in a few places to see what's missing, and what
isn't. flat monitors are great, but when mixing in them one must keep in mind
that the bottom end is going to sound bigger when it's put in a home stereo,
and vice versa. i like's akira's suggestion, boston acoustics with a decent
amp. it's not really which speakers you have (although 5" radio shack specials
won't be as fun to mix in as, say, a nice pair of genelecs, monitor ones, or
the mackie self powered jobbies) but how well you know them and your studio.
the "ubiquitous car stereo mix" - the totally excellent mix test.

--Boundary_(ID_xmr3MDWAlbsY0jl/ZHviIQ)