MUTEK

i wanted to throw some comments in here about the mutek festival. it was a lot different then I expected, especially the emphasis on minimal techno. I was chatting with one of the fellows from cbc, who created the stream for the web and he mentioned that mutek was the first minimal techno festival in the world and the people from europe were talking and going crazy about the festival. yeah canada.
anyway, it was an awesome 5 days, busy but mind blowing in a lot of senses. I went for richard chartier, taylor deupree, komet, thomas brinkmann and noto. all but brinkmann blew past my expectation and literally plunged my mind. awesome sets by all of them. taylor performed three sets and richard two during the festival. my favorite was in this quiet store called noize where maybe 40 of us gather around, mesmerized by their microscopic sounds. brinkmann was too dancefloor for me. I like his more arty projects like his remixes of studio 1, concept 1 and the mathematical x100. very little of that creativity I thought came out in his performance. kit clayton killed me. wow, sheesh. what a surprise. I didn't know his work, but I will shortly, after I recover from the many purchases throughout the week.
the locals were also pretty damn good. herri kopter aka jerome m. from oral, mateo + pheek, alexandre st. onge(whose performance required an attention similar to the composition of francisco lopez and bernhard gunter-beautiful abstract film accompanying his audio compositions) were equally as impressive as a lot of the artists involved in the festival. I personally enjoyed them more then sutekh and jake mandell. I think I am babbling so I will stop. mutek was an large stride for the music that I think microsound participants endorse and encourage everyone to save their pennies for next years event which I believe will be even more impressive. I have one hope though for the next festival and that is more abstract composers like chartier and deupree, and less minimal techno.
I forgot to mention how good the beer is in montreal and how cheap the food is. one could live for 20 dollars for 5 days eating pizza, awesome iranian dishes and falafels.
from someone with a sore neck, tired feet and a whole in his wallet but with a mark of enjoyment imprinted on his face
s. arden hill
sorry for the length.
and don't forget to check out the user's new installation 'silophone'. check out www.mutek.ca for a link to more details