MUTEK musings...

i'd gladly put my ass throught he pains of ex-centris again if it meant avoiding everyone yelling after each song (in the case of clayton's set) or being out and out rude by yelling for algorhythm to stop his set so pole could do an encore. i mean, can one get any more rude/unprofessional than that?

as for the shows, overall they all were amazing. i wouldnt've missed a night for the world. by sunday night i was devastated and my hearing possibly permanently damaged (although earplugs did help a lot) but it was definitely worth the drive up from ohio.

craig.

brief rundown:

architectura:
-taylor deupree: one of my favorite artists and all around great guy, left me wanting more (which, luckily i got by seeing him again on wed. and sat.)
-panacea: would've been much more impressive if he had come up with a way of better transitioning from track to track.
-soundtrack(aka savvas ysatis): possibly my new favorite min/tech house artist. always loves his output, but live he was even more groovin'

12k:
-richard chatier: perfect balance between silence and sound. close your eyes and get drawn in... wonderfull
-taylor: again, mind numbingly amazing. atmosphere wasn't the greatest what with all of the talking, but still, stellar performance

raster-noton:
-noto(carsten nicolai): recognized several tracks from prototypes, but they were evenly mixed with some nice improvisational pieces. as with all of the raster guys, great visuals...
-komet(frank bretschneider): possibly my favorite of the evening. highly intense, mesmerizing
-byetone(olaf bender): again, brilliant
-coh(ivan pavlov): although suffering from mac-envy he pulled off a nice, if even more experimental sounding set than all the previous raster guys
-signal(carsten, olaf, frank): by this time i think i was so drawn into the graphics/sound that there isn't really much i remember other than feeling that this evening would live on for quite a while as one of the best live performances i'd ever see...

mille-plateaux:
-safety scissors: wavered from nice koln styled techno to more funkier/humorous material, very nice...
-vladislav delay: what can i say, i love his works, expecially conoco and sistol but his live set managed to simply enthrall me. watching him alternatively tap from one foot to another and seeing him really, really get into his music just clued me in that he wasn't even aware of us watching, we were simply a passenger aboard his own personal journey of sound. truly amazing. one of the highlights of mutek for me.
-sutekh: nice set, a few of the tracks were a little too close to his periods make sense set, and the crashing laptop was a bummer, but overall a nice blend of more noisy experimentalism and minimal techno.
-jake mandell: as mentioned earlier, his set seemed to be too uneven, he bounced from genre to genre and the pitch adjustments were a little on the annoying side. slightly disappointed.

minimalism night:
-thomas jirku: this may be just me, but this guy didn't belong there. he needs a little more time to perfect his live set. he had some nice grooves going, but none of them seemed to go anywhere, too formulaic.
-thomas brinkmann: great set for those who are more dance inclined. i too was hoping for a more subdued 'totes rennen' styled minimal performance but overall his ability to read and work the crowd was great.
-triple r: straightforeward no-tricks mixing at it's best. definitively proved that you can throw studio 1 styled minimal tracks and people will dance. possibly my new favorite dj.

~scape night:
-dracka: for having never heard of these guys, i was blown away. like hearing autechre thrown into a grinder with wolfang voight. lovely rhythmical material. i've got to pick some of this stuff up...
-kit clayton: one of my favorite artists proved yet again how good his live set is. after seeing his set in ohio, i was excited to hear him again and wasn't disappointed. amazing.
-pole: what can i say, i was simply unimpresed with the pole show. he didn't waver from the same synth sound and the experimental/atmospheric feel of his studio stuff was sped up so that he could please the club kids who were ther to dance. from the looks of it most of his material was pre-arranged and all he did was add an effect here or there along with a synth line. i was hoping for much more...