[no subject]

I totally agree about the Kit Clayton track on Staeditizm - it's my
favorite on there, and well worth hearing *loud* on a good system. What
makes it for me is the attention to detail - the little double-time
percussion during a half-tempo breakdown, the analog tape-delay style
echo, etc.

The Gramm and Vladislav Delay tracks are a great opener, too. Not much
else stands out besides these 3 tracks, though I like the Pole track
well enough. The Modernist's track is good, though maybe too uptempo to
be labeled "dub" anything.

> >  the only problem is that "urban dub" (as, i believe, mr. betke
> > himself (calls|used to call) it) is quite a difficult genre to emulate
> > (as is drill n bass, hence my otherwise dodgy comparison), which might
> > explain that the contributions were left to a relatively tame state ("i
> > managed to get the sound, i won't screw it by adding this extra noise!").

Heh...this is veering off-topic, I'm afraid, but "urban dub" conjures up
some great images to me, and the only tracks on the comp that really do
it for me are the ones I mentioned - the others just seem to be "digital
reggae-lite" or "this is kind of like dub, right?". I hold the idea of
"dub" pretty close to my heart, though, so maybe I'm being purist or something.

In other news, I picked up a few things recently - the Villalobos on
Playhouse (thanks for the recommendation, Phil Sherburne - microhouse is
right!), the latest Farben ("raw macro") and a 12" on Caipirinha by
"Sound Track". The "Sound Track" 12" hsa a nice remix by Kit Clayton as
well as 3 other tracks. Who is "Sound Track" again? The friend who
shoved the 12" into my hands told me, but I forget...Taylor?

Cheers,

Bill VanLoo
--
http://www.chromedecay.org