Re: [microsound] Fans

> For those who where lamenting the irritating fan noises of their computers a
> while back, there's an article in this week's Newsweek about the new Power
> Mac G4 Cube.  Apparently, it's a 7.5" long cube designed to look real sleek,
> and in place of a fan it uses some kind of a heat sink, which is presumably
> silent.  I wonder if Macintosh is aware that they could make that a huge
> selling point to a certain demographic. . .

if they were clever, they would chop up the fan noises & add delays to
them, & produce random clicks on top of it.  now _that_ would appeal to
the demographic we're thinking of...  i can see it: a, erm, "clicks &
cuts" control panel under the apple menu, with programmable choices of
click generation & fan tones emulating farben, tomas jirku or vladislav delay...

bvvvv-vvvv-vvvv-vv chk-o-beep
bvvvv-vvvv-vvvv-vv chk-o-beep
bvvvv-vvvv-vvvv-vv chk-o-beep
bvvvv-vvvv-vvvv-vv chk-o-beep
(my rendition of farben's song from "clicks & cuts")

joking apart, i've heard of that & i'm certainly not holding my breath
until i hear of pc's doing the same thing.  a silent computer would be
strange though, wouldn't it?  no more humming orchestrae in design
offices...  (although we'll still hear the air conditioner...)