Re: [microsound] napster shut down

Dear Microsounders --

It is a bit sad to find that the RIAA has so much
power. I wonder what would had happen if Napster was
somewhere in China ?  Napster, however, wasn't too smart
about their image and marketing..., we'll see what
develops...

It's clear that the formulas used by the Music Industry
are obsolote. Recoupment, recording onwership, and, please
someone explain, publishing [wasn't that for when
households had pianos instead of CD players]...

I'm stating the obvious when I say that Napster, down or
not, is a good example on where to look for new and fresh
alternatives. Hopefully others won't disregard what Napster
did or be discouraged by this.

The labels and music discussed on these list are also
awesome examples on how it is possible to distribute,
share and sell music bypassing large coporations and old
schemes.

all the best,

-- Eloy
 ------