Re: [microsound] napster shut down

Arelar33@xxxxxxx wrote:

> >left-wing material out
> >there...Stockhausen, Asmus Tietchens, Xenakis, Ligeti, Oval, Mouse On Mars
>
> Am I missing something here...How did all these artists become "left-wing"?

I was only trying to characterize their off-center musical position (not
left-wing in the political sense, in other words), unless, of course, you would
like to place them in the center. But what would that do to Britney Spears?

> I never used Napster...I have yet to hear an MP3 that didnt sound like an old
> cassette tape...including tests I have done ofd my own work.

There's exaggeration and then there's EXAGGERATION. You must've been listening to
all the wrong MP3, because if the encoding has been done right you will get a
very good copy of the original. I've listened to some MP3 (burned to CD) on my
dad's high end hi-fi setup and at first listen you won't notice any major
difference between the copy and the original (there is a difference, of course,
but still; MP3 basically gets rid of 9/10 of the musical information in the
original signal so it's still quite an impressive compression algorithm).

Unless you are comparing MP3 to a Tascam analog 24-track with Dolby S, but a MP3
would still compare favorably to even this format.

/Øivind/