R.I.P.

Foulkes,

After three years of service, numerous software and music related
projects, thousands of listening hours, and the extreme physical
abuse only I can dish out to high tech gizmos, my IBM laptop finally
died today  (not to mention that there are still two unfinished
compositions and about 20 hours worth of coding effort still trapped
on the hard disk without backups--oops).  Revival efforts seem to
indicate that this time, it's final.

The reason I write is that I think I will be shopping for a replacement
in the weeks to come before a live performance in mid-September,
and I felt that this particular list might have more people in the know than
anywhere else.  I'm looking for a PC configuration which supports the
following:

	Windows 98/2000
	< $2000 price tag
	450-600MHz CPU
	64-128 MB RAM (expandable)
	4-10 GB HD, 7200 RPM or better
	Eraser-button mouse (preferred)
	32bit CD-quality sound output or greater,
		Direct Sound compatible with good DACs
	Reasonably durable (Toshibas used to be good for this, but
		what's new out there?)
	Open hardware architecture (no COMPAQs)
	< 5 lbs weight (CDROM and floppy optional)

If you are aware of any especially great deals, or any good parts
houses for a custom job, please let me know.  I've been out of the market
for a while.  I'd especially love to hear from anyone who uses PC laptops
for live performance.

Please, no religious discussions in the vein of "you should get a
mactop because..."  They are probably pretty good little computers, but
I just don't use them for what I do.

Thanks!
-Wayne
wayne@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.mp3.com/LaterDays

the latest:  Fornica (MP3.com), Out of the Garden (MP3.com),
Cambrian Dialogs (Back Porch Productions)
still cookin':  invalidObjects - do (Fällt), divergent/emergent (MP3.com),
Woodstockhausen 2000