-oval and mainstream ears

i played some first year digital media students oval...1994 and the new one.
most said they quite liked it...found it listenable and even nice...esp the old stuff...<
>>none of them had ever heard it

now that was a head spin for me as i remember being shocked in '94 when it came out..
.i used to listen to a lot of ambient music and here was ambient
with the high snaps of the cd glitch ringing thru. it hurt and confused my head...like a review by paul schutze in the wire said at the time

"Oval have done something subtly violent to Electronica. Once you have heard this, things sound different?"

now the kids find nothing hard to hear in the sound...even when i played it really loud and got lots of complaints from the surrounding classes..<<

..kk