visuals...

hi,
please forgive me if this topic has already been discussed... (and
inform me how i can acquire the past posts)
i am curious about visuals, if any, at live performances of
'microsound'.
having witnessed a number of gigs in the uk this year at 'sound art' and
'multimedia' exhibitions, i was left in two minds as to their necessity
and their relevance.  i am all for an exciting sonic performance but
often performers visual accompaniments seemed to detract from the main
draw of the event.
so, what do we like to see, what would we like to see and what don't we
like to see???
abstract computer graphics provided by max/nato/big-eye?
oscilloscope images?
sci-fi movies?
cam-corder/dv-camera images?
nothing apart from the performer 'at work'?
etc...
thanks,
andrew