RE: [microsound] The 'quest for newness'...

Wise words.  I couldn't agree more.  In the last 15 years the phenomenal
growth of cheaply produced and distributed media (and this includes the
internet of course) has proved itself a double edged sword and has only
worsened this situation Christopher speaks of.  On one hand, it is wonderful
that the distribution of music and many other arts has been taken out of the
hands of a privileged few who decide what gets heard or seen and what
doesn't.  On the other hand, how do we now weed through all the half baked
garbage to find the great undiscovered artists out there?  Exactly how many
self-proclaimed "experimental" or "avant garde" electronic artists can the
world actually support?   There has got to be something more that separates
truly inspired works from mediocre ones than merely fiddling with the latest
software to produce novel sounds.  I seriously doubt great work is going to
arise solely out of the novelty of the "new."

While I am truly excited by many of the new artists producing beautiful and
interesting minimal music, I would say that at least half of what gets
passed of as "experimental" or "avant garde" these days is some kid diddling
his new powerbook software or playing with effects.  The thing that
separates the former from the later is that they, in Christopher's terms,
strive for "excellence; in both thought and execution."

Gunnar Garness
ggarness@xxxxxxxxxxxx