Re: [microsound] On the subject of coil...

>             i say, enough self-serving ideology and fetishistic
> techno-worship, and more instinct and essential nature.

Well, if you see Coil as the road back to essentialism than I must say I´d
rather stay with the techno fetishists. At least they acknowledge the existence
of relativism and cultural effects, and as such represent a problem for those
who still speak of Essence and absolutes. I find essentialism more troubling
than anything else that comes to mind. And essential nature? We all know the
dangerous places that concept can lead to.

(I love Coil, but not without reservations. I don´t share their interest for
either the occult or the astrological, and mysticism of all kinds should be met
with a healthy dose of scepticism -- the astrological can just as well be
categorized as fetishism and "self-serving ideology". All in all: perhaps this
is why I find their instrumental material much more interesting than their
lyrical output. Of course, the lyrics for "Broccoli" (Musick...Dark vol. 1) is
brilliant, not to mention its sound world, but other times the otherworldly
metaphors are more annoying than fascinating. Speaking of Musick...Dark series:
while some of the material is very innovative, I find the tracks with the Jean
Michel Jarre-like synth lines very puzzling...it sounds so dated and I can´t
really hear one ounce of innovation/re-creation in there...the more I think
about I think perhaps one volume combining tracks from both CDs would´ve been
enough).

> the sun is coming.

Are we back to Enlightenment?

/Øivind/