Re: [microsound] On the subject of coil...

In a message dated 8/29/00 2:00:59 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
thermal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> The new Coil, after all, is
>  Music(k) to Play in the Dark - not while reading arch tomes - and to me
the
>  greatest power of this music is in its emotional depth, while what makes
it
>  most impressive is the deceptive ease with which this group has fashioned
>  such rich and memorable world of sound

I think that's what I was attempting to say, but in my usual geurilla style,
I came off as being too forceful. Thanks for lending your eloquence.

> As for "thinking" - which I also
find a rewarding activity (but not to be confused with "wisdom") - is it
too not a part of human "instinct?"<

Oh, absolutely, but on a different edge of the spectrum of human activities,
maybe, than those that occur while we're NOT thinking. Such as feeling.
That's why I feel Coil's music(k) is more evolved, because it accesses more
parts of the spectrum. I always evaluate art on its ability to be accessible
to the majority of people at least on SOME level, and some of my raver
friends can readily process Coil over Oval or Richard Chartier. That's
because the majority of Coil need not be explained, just simply felt, as
opposed the more ghettoized forms we talk about on this forum. Of course,
that's mostly because Coil's cultural background has seeped into the
mainstream in subtle ways over the years that they have been working. I'm
sure that Oval's sound will be a lot more digestible to the average joe in
ten year's time than now, once the "concepts" behind the whole aesthetic are
taken for granted by the mainstream. Sorta like how you can buy Tarot decks
at Borders now, when I'm sure you couldn't ten years ago at your local mega
bookstore.

random
--Boundary_(ID_PhzV1iGZWfjkYCsCKHmwuA)