Re: [microsound] off-icmc

sorry for crossposting

At Wed, 30 Aug 2000 13:53:50 +0200, Miau-Miau International wrote:
> off-ICMC: so much to see! simultaneous performances in every corner!
> help, lookout -- it's another serious-looking man with a laptop,
> inflicting hearing damage!
>
> there's been some very good things so far.
> these were some highlights (subjective of course) -
>
> monday:
> farmersmanual (w/ amazing nato.0+55 video)
> bernhard gunther

Because of this simultaneity,
you couldn't attend all performances, and highlights
were probably happening in the other room also.
The musicians were not asked were they wanted to play,
you could feel there the attitude of the organizer
Reinhold Friedl, which was a political attitude, definitely not
a musical one : some of the performances would have
sounded much better in the big hall than in the small club
(and inversely?).

Bernhard Guenther's concert was certainly a highlight, he played first
on Monday upstairs, I had to play second downstairs,
I was listening to his very quiet and beautiful piece : "then, silence",
when Reinhold Friedl came to me and said "go down and play now",
I said that I would go when Guenther is over because I didn't want to
disturb it more than it was already (people walking and talking,
as well as the other performances happening downstairs were resonating
in the hall, all this was clearly disturbing Guenther's piece).
Then Friedl said "if you don't play now your concert is cancelled".
When I got down to begin my performance fifteen minutes later
he came and told me again "it is not necessary to play anymore".
Very nice to hear that before playing !
Isn't that a highlight too ?

-
christophe charles
Musashino Art University_Media Art Lab
185-0087 Tokyo Kodairashi Ogawacho 1-736
tel +81(0)42-342-6070
http://kubric.musabi.ac.jp/charles