Re: [microsound] * off -icmc

caleb~k:										How can one respond to your frustrations regarding
Off-icmc? I'm sure many of the people on this list may not have had an
opportunity to attend or participate, so have no point of reference other
than the recent Charles/Freidl exchange. In your e-mail, there seems to
be a bit of segregation, using the word "outsider" and "they are after
all serious composers." What is being implied here? A distinction of "hip
computer-geeks" from "unhip computer-geeks"? (If I'm not mistaken, I
thought I saw some academic composers on the interest-description of this
list). Besides the stirrings of an "us vs. them" vibe, there was the
implications that non-academic composers are firmly the source for
innovation. Is this really all that important? Can we not just enjoy
ourselves with what we ceate or listen to without feeding into some kind
of segregation