RE: [microsound] Linzhoax etc.

At 11:36 AM 9/11/00 -0700, richard chartier wrote:
and at a kraftwerk show in the early eighties (computer world tour) a friend that went told me that at the end of the show there was an announcement that "the show you have just seen was entirely performed by robots"

I read an interview with Kraftwerk in the late 1970s or very early 1980s in a rock magazine, in which the members expressed their desire to have franchise bands in each major city: each local quartet would be hired, provided with the Kraftwerk equipment, trained to perform the songs, and trotted out on the stage of its own city for each stop of the "tour," while Ralf und Florian remained at home. I thought it was a rather brilliant suggestion at the time, but of course when the reunion tour came around I did skip it. (In the same interview they spoke of their habit of carrying pocket scissors and cutting the wires of speakers in elevators in order to reduce music pollution.)

But as the original subject of this message, perhaps the reaction stated is an indication that in electronic music we are pressing up against a threshold beyond which the idea of "live" or of "performance" is of questionable relevance. Last evening for example I saw the China National Traditional Orchestra "perform live": musicians produced sound from their instruments as we watched and listened. But when one has to ask whether for example the sound from a Powerbook is being generated from interactive compositional software or from audio playback software, I wonder whether we should even be using such terms in digital sound. By this I do not mean to say that a Powerbook is not a legitimate instrument for performance (I have used mine "live" and it certainly is), but rather to suggest that the contexts and term piles inherited from rock and jazz and classical and other musics are ill fitted to ours - that the distress in Linz perhaps involves not a twist of marketing but rather a crisis of language.

Then again, even to hear a nice experimental CD on a good soundsystem at a large event is a rare experience in my city...

joshua maremont / thermal - mailto:thermal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
boxman studies label - http://www.boxmanstudies.com/