Re: Warszawa--Linzhoax etc.

> So what's the music scene like in Poland?
> Other than DiscoPolo and some cheezy arrangements of Stachura  songs I
> haven't heard anything.  Polish folks abroad seem to have no taste if
> music import is concerned....
>
> MiS

I don't really know whether microsound list is the best forum to discuss
topics as "the music scene in Poland"...OK, let's say I'll try to mention
things which are the most immediate in my perception. Firstly, I would risk
a statement that cheezy Stachura songs, and tackiness in general, could
really educate and/or enlighten. DiscoPolo would be outrageous even without
the recent wave of interest in stupid pop, easy listening and other items of
audio idiocy. It is interesting in itself, being totally banal,
uninteresting and even thtreatening...Anyway you're probably right saying
that Polish (immigrants included) society did not learn to distiguish
between value and non-value. Current free market tells every consumer to buy
more pop, more folky Bregovitsch stuff, more hedonism etc. So they do. But
does it render the situation with any degree of realism? It does little
justice to overlook those aspects of culture which are interesting and maybe
should reach a wider audience. I don't suppose anyone is interested in my
spontaneous comments (yawn) so let me say few things about what you called
"scene":
**Molr Drammaz - two-piece from southern Poland... sort of abstract glitch
cabaret, very unique on a larger-not
    only domestic-scale. at least 3 of their releases will be out on
Staalplaat/Open Circuit so keep your ears open...
**EA - dark electroacoustic washes of sound, experiments w/field recordings
and overall rawness. also Open Circuit cd
    file them with lull, koner, "ambient" aube releases etc
**Neurobot - live electronic improv for 2 computers and 1 multitrack;
ongoing Net project (http://neurobot.art.pl) etc.

I'm connected to all of the above, and run the experimental cd-r label
Polycephal. If you're interested in any recordings and/or collaboration, fee
l free to get in touch w/me. You can also look at Polish underground page
http://www.terra.pl. to learn more (it's all in Polish).
At last, tonight there's Origami Galaktika gig in Warsaw...while in November
Francisco Lopez comes to play at Audio Arts Festival in Krakow. We'll try to
organize his Warsaw performance.

best regards to all microsound participants
sorry for straying off-topic

>j<

jacek staniszewski
neurobot/polycephal/facial index