Re: [microsound] Intellectual Property

On Wed, 04 Oct 2000, alex@xxxxxxxx wrote:

> I think you are missing the point.  Musicians don't generally hide how
> they are playing a violin.  One of the best ways to learn how to play a
> violin is to watch a master at work.

It's funny you'd say that.  Apparently Eddy van Halen used to turn his back to
the audience when he was doing his tapping thing because he thought it was such
a cool trick that he didn't want others to see how it was done....

I don't know how much truth is in that, perhaps it's just a gossip...  I have
met people though that used to do that sort of thing.  The irony is that
usually they do things that have been done before, they just don't know.

To clarify my earlier point:
I don't think that a composer/performer _should_ hide his "process" or
technique.  I am all for sharing the information.  I just don't think that such
knowledge should have any influence on the appreciation of music or any other
art form for that matter (not in general, though).  If I listen to a piece of
music and don't like it, even after several times, and I have a good reason not
to appreciate it, I don't think that finding out about the particular
mathematical formula that was used to generate the score or sound or reading
about any other process involved in the creation of the work will make me
appreciate it.  Perhaps I will understand better why it sounds the way it does
but I will not "like" it any more that I did before.

MiS