Re: [microsound] process mystique: sound vs music?

At 05:35 PM 10/3/00 -0400, david turgeon wrote:
i'm a bit iffed with this talk of "hiding the process"...  supposedly
this would be an "intellectual property" issue, but isn't that absurd?

To me the word "mystique" hits the alarm button of this issue, where "hiding the process" serves as a tool for mystification. There were for example stories from a friend of mine who played on a bill with a star of electronic music (who will go nameless here) and found that the star had draped a black tarp over his gear in order that no-one might discover its identity; the friend peeked, of course, and found a quite familiar array of equipment. At the other end of the continuum was Atom Heart at his wonderful CCAC performance here in SF: not only was his minimal setup of Akai MPC and mixer in plain view, but the MPC display was fed into a video projector, leaving no doubt as to the finer points of his live technique. Interestingly enough, the demystification had the unexpected effect of focusing my attention away from the screen, as if the banality of parameter tweaking had little relation to the sublimity of the music issuing from the speakers, and for me it is the latter that is really the point of music in any listening context. A performance by the now local SF erhu player Chen Jie-Bing for instance leaves no room for doubt as to the equipment and techniques by which the music is brought into the air, yet these physical manifestations seem almost accidental beside the profound beauty of the sound. Here then, for me, is the "magic trick" of live music: not in the details of this hardware of this software (the "hat" and "rabbit" mentioned earlier in this thread), but rather in the fact that - as in visual arts and cooking and sex and the various other pleasure of this earth - something astonishing and moving has arisen out of essentially mundane ingredients. Then again I can understand why a musician might want to obscure the technical aspects of a performance in order to allow people to focus on sound rather than geeking out on gear, for otherwise the fetishists of the audience may not be able to restrain themselves. But to return to Oval, whom I enjoy for sound rather than for theory or code, I detect little attempt at mystification in the nonpublication of the Skotodesk software, as this group has long been quite open about its methods (and quite successful nevertheless at transcending them); rather, I suspect that the business of marketing and supporting software is not as appealing to its coder as are the making of music and the appearances in clubs and museums. I do not recall that guitargeek Tom Scholz (yes, of the dreaded group Boston) was ever chided for not publishing the schematics for his little guitar processors (he did begin to sell them later), so it seems strange that a nonopensource Oval should be even slightly troubling.

np - Freeform "Green Park" (fantastic!)

joshua maremont / thermal - mailto:thermal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
boxman studies label - http://www.boxmanstudies.com/