Re: [microsound] process mystique: sound vs music?

On Tue, 3 Oct 2000, david turgeon wrote:

Somehow I agree with your post as a whole, but feel I have a different
point of view.  Forgive me for picking out just a couple of points to
disagree with.

> as kim was alluding to, talking about pita & hecker's live set,
> there's more to a piece than its process: a certain amount of skill,
> imagination & whatnot has to go in the mix.

The way I see it, the skill, imagination and whatnot of the performers
_define_ the process, it's interesting how you see them as seperate.

> if you think you can become vladislav delay just because you have his
> reaktor setups, then you're a tad delusive...

I'm naive here - I don't know what reaktor is.  But I would thoughtfully
add that if you work someone else's processes into your own, that is more
than being influenced by them;

  you are performing with them.

So if you release your sourcecode or complex setups, you lose control over
who you perform duets with.  This can be a problem, depending on the
situation.  For me, it's a problem if I'm still working on the music.  I
don't like to even talk about stuff I'm developing, let alone give away
documentation of the process (sourcecode being the ultimate, perfect
documentation).  But once I'm bored with developing an idea, I'm more
comfortable with opening up the process for others to see and use.  Then,
it can live on in their imaginations.

> then again, this assessment isn't going to be taken too seriously
> since audiomulch is not erm, "real" programming...  i mean, it has an
> intuitive interface that's laughably easy to use & which doesn't give
> you a headache, so it must be a toy...

I think your subtext agrees that audiomulch is programming, just at a
higher level.

Audiomulch is a great application, and I believe the creators of it have a
strong creative influence over the sounds the user produces.  Therefore
the programmers _of_ audiomulch are a creative force in every action that
the programmers _in_ audiomulch perform.  Therefore, to some extent you
are performing with the creators of your software, and as a member of the
audience, I feel that I should at least know about that.

That is a wild statement, I'd be interested in your thoughts about it :)
It is in no way designed to devalue audiomulch or music written with it;
quite the opposite.

I have more, but I guess most people will have stopped reading by now

--
A member of the state51 conspiracy
alex@(state51.co.uk|lurk.org|generative.net|(vx)?slab.org)