NYC: Computer Music Performance in conjunction with "Wakening Shrouds: Evaporating Installation"

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

Saturday, November 18th, 2000
8 pm

Taylor Deupree Richard Chartier Dmitry Gelfand Alexander Kalin

Computer Music Performance in conjunction with

"Wakening Shrouds: Evaporating Installation"

White Box Gallery
601 w. 26th St. 14th Floor
New York, NY

By carefully displacing the primary elements, one arrives at the vast diversity of matter comprising the still evolving Periodic Table. It should hence be of no surprise that traces of gold were recently detected in the fabric of the human brain. What may be surprising however, is the fact that the brain is the only place where such traces can be found in the human organism. Analogous to the "philosopher's gold" described by the alchemists -- "aurum nostrum non est aurum vulgi" (our gold is not the gold of commoners) -- the isolated presence of gold on the rooftop of our molecular development is very much in accordance with the fundumental hierarchy of Nature. The gold in our heads ascended from the gold imbedded in the earth which had descended from our golden Sun. The evolution of matter is a condensed reflection of the soul's ascent up the omnidirectional ladder of our cosmos.

At a cursory glance, the "Wakening Shrouds" project is a simulation of the never-exactly-repeating phenomena of dawn and dusk: light passes through water vapour which in turn, reflects, refracts and scatters the light. Upon closer inspection, the installation conveys the discrete stages of both the physical and transphysical ascent towards the quintessence.

On Saturn day evening, November 18th, 4 computer music composers are gathering at the site of the installation to transcode (with the help of 'artificial intelligence') electromagnetic waves into isomorphic ones. By far the most refined and significant examples of artificial intelligence are to be found in the realm of sound wave synthesis and processing. Unlike the protozoan developments in robotics and in other fields of self-propelled and or self-analysing software, audio programs have reached a level of boundless capacities and subtelties, ranging from the sonification of molecular vibrations to the uncanny hybridization of disparate waveforms which spontaneously reconfigure themselves ad infinitum without exactly repeating any previous hybrids. The performances will involve synergetic interventions on the part of the composers so as to extend the interplay between compositional indeterminacy and computational indeterminacy. Like the never-exactly-repeating scatterings of light through the never-exactly-repeating currents of water vapour, the passage of audio signals through multiple distinctly oscillating modules is a restratafication of the fluctuating conditions during which the early universe (the 'prima materia') spontaneously seperated into the celestial ladder of inerlocking essences.

"The Philosopher's Stone is made in the image of the Creation of the World. For one must have its chaos and its prime matter, in which the elements float hither and thither, all mixed together, until they are seperated by the fiery spirit. And when this has happened, the light is lifted up, while the heavy is brought downwards." (J. d'Espagnet, Das Geheime Werk, 1730)