Re: [microsound] I don't care how he did it, I enjoyed it thoroughly.

At 12:26 PM 11/20/00 -0500, A Listener wrote:
I would feel a lot better if, like on a CD it says Blank played guitar; X
played the drums so on . . .

I must disagree completely here. I have played in the past in a "rock" band, and we made a point of never mentioning names, equipment, instruments, or any other personal or technical details. Our reason had nothing to do with hiding or honesty or credit, but rather with the integrity of the listening experience, for our hope was that listeners would simply imagine whatever world was conjured for them by our music rather than prosaically picturing each of us arrayed on stage and tweaking our piles of gear. I continue to feel this way at present and have taken the same approach on more recent record texts, and for me gear lists tend to spoil records (see, for example, Francisco Lopez' suggestion that the sealed liner notes of "La Selva" remain unread). To me, as soon as the technical details need to be disclosed to the listener, the other nonmusical aesthetic details - hair by X, clothes by Y - become equally relevant, and the credits sprawl out into Spandau Ballet territory. What brand of boots, for example, was this musician wearing while placing a foot on a floor monitor during a headbanging Powerbook solo? What restaurant cooked the meal eaten by the group before the recording? Perhaps the beer provided by the studio or the club altered the playing somewhat, a belch from a too-heavily frothing brew provoking stochastic mousing by the player? Either it is a good record or not. Either it works or not. I will take brilliance on presets (see, for example, Anthony Manning's "Islets in Pink Polypropylene," all done on a Roland R8) over twaddle on original patches any day, although having played with Reaktor for a little while I CAN hear the difference between the two...

joshua maremont / thermal - mailto:thermal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
boxman studies label - http://www.boxmanstudies.com/