Re: [microsound] Re: Cages prepared piano

amnesia" <amnesia@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

: Did Cage prepare is piano evry time?

If by "every time" you mean did he himself prepare the piano for
the premiere of each of his prepared piano works -- yes, I believe
he did, and left careful instructions as to how others might prepare
a piano for performing that work.  But his prepared piano works came
early in his career, before he got into chance operations and other
forms of indeterminacy.  (If he had written them later he probably
would have left careful instructions as to how the I Ching or other
device would determine preparations.  He was precise, even in his
imprecisions.)

		-Ed