Re: [microsound] Shirt Trax/SND

On Fri, 01 Dec 2000 16:19:18 -0500 david turgeon <david.t@xxxxxxxx>
writes:
> > who is shirt trax? I have seen their name and hear their falsch
> release and
> > a track on decay, but I have never known who they are.
> > is it florian hecker of mego fame?
>
> shirt trax is mark fell (of snd) & jez potter.  their album _good
> news
> from space_ (or) is very unique, made mostly of exhilarating, noisy
> &
> percussive bleeps & usually shrugged off by people as "i could do
> that
> in 5 minutes".  i don't know, when i sit down in front of audiomulch
> for
> 5 minutes it never sounds like that, maybe i just don't have the
> right
> software...  joking apart, the actual _point_ of the record was to
> use
> only freeware & shareware music software, which most anyone could
> have
> downloaded, & still make interesting music out of it.  i suppose
> it's
> somewhat of a lo-fi twist on the snd method.  anyway, they pull it
> off
> quite well.
I have to admit when I first heard the album, I was a bit underwhelmed.
Where did you find the info on that release? It would have helped me to
understand their creative approach better after my initial reaction,
although I did suspect that much of the cd was recorded as live improv. I
really like their track on the Ash comp, Decay and  I also enjoy the
mp3's of Chewables on Falsch. I find the SND release, Makesnd to be sort
of theraputic. I put it on in the background and it sets a nice
psychological tone.

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.