Re: [microsound]Ikeda's Matrix

On Sat, 2 Dec 2000 18:52:09 -0800 "jonah dempcy" <jdempcy@xxxxxxxx>
writes:

> i guess my point in bringing this up is that an artist specifying
> _in words_
> how they want their music to be heard is nothing new, because
> artists are
> always specifying _in music_ how they want it to be heard.
>
> the way i look at it is this: all sorts of social/ideological
> quality/context constructs/mediums exist with which for music to be
> heard,
> and all music will be subject to categorization into one of these
> constructs/mediums.. so i guess an artist specifying in words which
> they
> prefer seems like a good thing to me!
>
> what do you think?

Well, some artists that release sonically challenging works on cd don't
specify any intent or note the possibility of playback problems. For
example, F. Lopez's track on the first Just About Now comp. To the
unaided ear, there is nothing to be discerned. In the credits, there is
nothing to be gleaned. I had to run the piece through a filter and an eq
on the computer before I figured out that the track was 14 minutes of
very low tones that could have possibly stressed out my or someone else's
speakers, when the volume was cranked on this track to hear it. My point
is that I think that sometimes with cd releases, there can be a very fine
line between challenging art and thoughtless self indulgence. The rest of
the comp, by the way, is great.

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.