Re: [microsound] cynical ex-nzer

> it seems to me that the nz experimental scene is very small...the
> likes of corpus have a tiny following and they are generally
> disliked...dead c resently played for the first time in dunedin in
> years...their lastest release had a pressing of 500 (which did sell
> out but i think they were surprised)

well the Dead C still pack out venues in New Zealand, and while most of
their fan base is overseas (UK, US) that is simply a population thing. I do
think things have seriously improved here in the last few years, but I think
the Dead C are a bit bitter they were virtually ignored all those years ago.

> .and i have been looking....although of course there is   aut : )
>      and also m.chest and his label is.land.sound  --- maybe there are
> others hiding in their bedrooms.

you are right, there doesn't seem to be a big "microsound" scene at all...
or those that are involved are now overseas... myself included very soon. i
know a few other people on the periphery (the wonderful Birchville Cat
Motel, laptop noise guy Duncan Bruce both of whom i've played with).. oh and
Michael Upton/Jet Jaguar who frequents this list

> on the other hand nz likes experimental music from overseas...for
> example a stream of people such as tony conrad, keiji haino,
> yoshihide otomo, oval etc etc have attracted very large audiences...

as always our taste for imported music...

> as a general rule nz sucks for this stuff and really doesn't give
> much of a shit..
>                     ...most leave as soon as they can...make a break
> for it while you can...!!

generally we haven't been big on computer music, for whatever reasons...
however the underground tape/improv scene here is reasonably large and has
gained good exposure too. also as i think i mentioned to you before caleb
the free-jazz-improv scene in wellington has exploded in the past couple of
years thanks to a few dedicated folk... its become like the NYC of the south
pacific.. hehe.

g.