Re: [microsound] Burkhard Stangl

In a message dated 12/20/00 10:39:19 AM, cramakrishnan@xxxxxxx writes:

<< However, other
than a couple of Franz Koglmann records and the re-issue of
Polwechsel, I haven't come accross anything else he plays on.

Anyone know what Stangl has been up to? >>

well, to start, there's Polwechsel 2, also on Hat Art, highly recommended.
Polwechsel just recorded their 3rd record, and it should be out sometime in
2001 on Durian.

he's been playing a lot of duo concerts with Kurzmann, including one I saw in
Ulrichsberg, Austria a week or two ago (in a really nice festival curated by
Werner Dafeldecker. my festival review is in next month's Wire.)

he's also been gradually finishing his Venusmond opera, which will be five
parts. the first two were released this year on CD, on a label named Quell
(http://vnm.mur.at). the band for part 1 is Stangl, Kevin Drumm, Jim
O'Rourke, Dafeldecker and Gene Coleman, recorded at the observatory of the
Empire State Building in 1997. the third part premiered in Chicago in May.

lastly, there's a double CD coming out early next year on Grob
(www.churchofgrob.com), by the quartet of Stangl, Radu Malfatti, Franz
Hautzinger and Gunter Schneider. haven't heard this yet, but I'm very excited
about it.

Jon
www.erstwhilerecords.com